This bridge, built for the London & South Western Railway and brought into use in 1860, spans Newton Road, a short distance west of Yeovil Junction. It has a single round-headed skewed arch. The bridge is of rock-faced stone, probably from Chilmark, with a red brick soffit to the arch. The rusticated voussoirs are smooth-faced and the key stone projects slightly. There are battered pilasters either side of the arch.
The stones forming the impost have a saw-toothed upper edge in order to accept the brickwork forming the soffit.
The design and construction of this most attractive bridge must have required considerable skill. The structure was listed, grade II, in 1984.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 19 January 2010