The railway between Leatherhead and Dorking, opened by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway in 1867, follows the Mole Valley through the North Downs. The river meanders to the east at Mickleham, but the railway passes through Mickleham Tunnel to avoid this deviation. The tunnel is 524 yards long.
The southern portal (above) is appreciably more ornate than the northern one (below), with triangular flint panels in the spandrels and stone decoration. Landowners often required ornate designs for structures in return for withdrawing objections to construction of the railway through their estates.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 21 January 2010