|T9 tenders might not be a straightforward topic, but they are
far simpler to understand than the Bulleid Merchant Navy and light pacific
ones! The thirtyone locos built by Dubs and the first twenty locos built at
Nine Elms all had the same pattern of outside bearing six wheel tender carrying
four tons of coal and 3,500 gallons of water. The final fifteen locos, with the
wider cabs and splashers, were paired with five ton/4,000 gallon tenders
running on two bogies fitted with inside bearings, known as the "water
cart" tenders after the water carts that were used to spary the streets of
the late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries. The similarity apparently being
that the tenders leaked in the area of the bogie mountings and thus sprayed the
track in the same manner as the road carts! Originally fitted with coal rails,
these started to be plated over during Southern Railway days, though no
accurate record of this appears to be available.
3,500 gallons was only just sufficient for the run from Waterloo to Bournemouth without taking water so in 1901 a number of the six wheel tenders were transferred to the new-build K10 class 4-4-0s and replace behind the T9s with brand new 4,000 gallon bogie "water cart" tenders, leaving just 23 locos with six wheel tenders. This last 23 locos were subsequently given "water cart" tenders from the L11 class 4-4-0s.
Following the formation of the Southern Railway in 1923 a number of T9s were allocated to the Central and Eastern sections. In 1925 ten went to the Eastern Section whose turntables were too short to accomodate T9s with "water cart" tenders, so the "water carts" were swapped for 3,500 gallon six wheelers from the 700 class 0-6-0s whilst the T9 "water carts" went to ten L11 class locos and the ten six wheeler L11 class tenders were fitted to the ten 700 class locos that had donated their tenders to the T9s! Then in 1928 a further six T9s were allocated to the Central Section with, once again, tenders being changed, this time in a straight swap with six K10 locos. Eventually the six-wheeled tender T9s returned to the Western section but in the main kept the six wheel tenders.
Information on specific loco/tender pairings prior to the mid-thirties is hard to come by. The table below sets out what is known but most of the tenders will most probably have been attached to the loco concerned since the change to the "water carts" from 1901, or since new in the case of the fifteen locos from Nº300 to Nº338:
Please note, this article only touches on the complexity of this subject and for more in-depth information you are recommended to read one of the many excellent books on the subject, e.g.The Book of the T9 4-4-0s, Richard Derry, Irwell Press ISBN 978-1-906919-12-2, from where much of the information on this page was gleaned.
All photographs are copyright
First | 2nd | 3rd | Last | Data | Tenders
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 30 December 2009