SEmG

Drummond M7 class 0-4-4T

Dugald Drummond became Locomotive Superintendent of the LSWR in 1895 (his title changed to Chief Mechanical Engineer in 1905) and his first new class after continuing construction of some Adams designs was the M7 0-4-4T. This was derived from his NBR 157 class from 1877, which itself was an enlargement of the LBSCR D1 class. Construction commenced in 1897 and continued in batches until 1911, there being five major sets of design variants. Between 1897 and 1899 engines were built with a short overhang at the front, sandboxes combined with the front splashers, injectors, lever reverse and conical smokebox doors on 252-256. In 1900 the design was changed to have the sandboxes inside the smokebox. In 1903 a long overhang on the front end was introduced and steam reverse gear fitted. During 1904 and 1905 construction moved the sandboxes back to the front splasher and new items were feed water heating, single ram pumps and balanced crank axles. For the remainder of the construction until 1911 duplex pumps were fitted. A total of one hundred and five were finally built.
 
In Southern Railway days M7 Nº42 is seen at Windsor & Eton Riverside station.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

28
 
28 Also in Southern Railway days M7 Nº28 is seen on the turntable at Bournemouth.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Nº244 photographed at Feltham mpd circa 1935.

photograph: Ted Pettman/Mike Morant collection

244
 
111 Pull-push fitted Nº111 photographed at Eastleigh during 1934.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Nº126 photographed at Waterloo, date not known.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

126

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Last | Data

This page was last updated 14 November 2011

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!