SEmG

Drummond K10 class 4-4-0

In 1901/2 Dugald Drummond introduced the K10 class (or "Small Hoppers"), a class of 40 4-4-0s which shared the same cylinders, boiler and firebox as his first 4-4-0 for the LSWR, the C8 class of 1897, although with 40 2¾ inch water tubes the K10's heating surface was greater. The frame length and wheelbase were identical, but with smaller wheels as they were intended for mixed traffic duties, though they shared the same problem as the C8s, an inability to sustain their power, which led to them having only occasional main line use. This defect did not, however, prevent them having an exemplary career on secondary routes as the LSWR had few heavy goods services that would have taxed them to the limit. Nº137, built in September 1902, was the 650th engine to be built at Nine Elms. The class was never superheated, which might have improved their steaming.
 
381

Nº381 captured on shed in late Southern livery.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
The water tubes in the firebox did not last long as Urie began removing them quite early in his career. Normally coupled to a standard Drummond 14 foot tender, seven were allocated his 4,000 gallon bogie tenders which, rather than remain with the same locomotive, tended to be switched around within the class, though 135, 144, 380, 382, 386, 391 and 392 seem to have been the main users. After the grouping of 1923 the Southern Railway sent ten of the class to work on the former SECR lines where they were fitted with Urie stovepipe chimneys. They later returned to ex-LWSR lines though some of these ten locos were occasionally sent to Ashford for repairs. One, Nº140, had its Drummond chimney restored.
 
Nº141 photographed at Waterloo - date unknown.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

141
 
342 Nº342 looking in something of a sorry state!

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Wartime service saw a few of the locos on foreign metals. In 1941 one loco was lent to the War Department, returning in 1942, whilst five others were lent to the LMSR for working their section of the Somerset & Dorset line then in August 1942 two of these five were at Gloucester and one at Bristol. They then moved to Nottingham until December 1944 whilst the remaining two of the original five spent the latter part of the war at Bristol, returning to the Southern in March 1945. Withdrawals started in january 1947 and although the majority of the class saw service with British Railways, it was not for long with the last one withdrawn by July 1951.

All photographs are copyright

First | Data

This page was last updated 13 July 2011

SR Target

Valid HTML 4.01!