SEmG

Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T

A total of 130 engines of this class, introduced on the LMS in December 1946, were built between then and 1952 - mainly at Crewe but with the last ten being constructed at Derby. The Southern interest occurs because the last 30 Crewe-built engines, Nos 41290-41319, were allocated from new in 1951 to the Southern Region, where they worked in various locations on all three divisions, from East Kent to the Withered Arm.
 
Nº41298 photographed whilst deep into Withered Arm territory at Braunton on 6th August 1960.

photograph by John Bradbeer

41298
 
41xxx An unidentified Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T brings 3 coach Bulleid set Nº89 into Christ's Hospital in 1964 on the hourly interval service from Horsham to Brighton via Steyning. The line to Guildford (which had a far less frequent service) can be seen immediately beyond the signalbox.

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
Nº41294 is at the "double" platform at Christ's Hospital on a train from Horsham to Guildford in 1964. Unlike the Horsham to Brighton line, with its hourly interval service, the Horsham - Guildford line service was quite sparse with a gap of several hours during the middle of the day.

photograph by Keith Harwood

41294
 
41325 Nº41325 approaches Henfield station with a train from Brighton.

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
Nº41301 and train running in to Rudgwick station during the last few months of the line in spring 1965.

photograph by Ray Soper

41301
 
41299 Nº41299, at the head of a three coach train, enters Baynards station with a Guildford to Horsham service.

photograph by Ray Soper

 
Nº41230 at Bournemouth on 21st June 1966.

photograph by Ray Soper

41230
 
Designed with light duties in mind, these locos incorporated self-emptying ashpans and rocking grates, features normally only encountered on the bigger engines of that time. With their footplate raised over the cylinders, small boiler and cab doors cut into the roof these locos, and their tendered sisters the Ivatt 2MT Moguls, were easily recognised. The side tanks had a capacity of 1,350 gallons, and the bunker, sloped inwards to give a clear view when running in reverse, had an American-style ladder giving access to the coal space.
 
41299 Nº41299 runs into West Grinstead with Bulleid set Nº802, on a train from Horsham to Brighton.

photograph by Keith Harwood

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd

This page was last updated 13 July 2010

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!