|The first two locomotives of this class were originally
classified as Class B and Class F, but were subsequently included in Class G,
so we have followed suit here, especially as Class F was later ascribed to the
solitary West Brighton 0-6-2T!
The first locomotive was Nº151 Grosvenor, a 2-2-2 with inside frames and cylinders and which was described by Burtt as being the first real express engine to be built by Stroudley. The driving wheels were of 6' 9" diameter whilst the leading and trailing wheels were the same as those of his Class D/D1. The two cylinders were 17" x 24". Outshopped in December 1874, Grosvenor was at first paired with an old Craven tender, then an outside framed one from a class C goods before finally being equipped with a new build tender of her own, which also utilized the D/D1 wheels!
photograph: Mike Morant collectionOriginally Class B, later Class G, Grosvenor, photographed on the down side of East Croydon station.
|Grosvenor was used until May 1907, frequently on
the fast Portsmouth service or the Newhaven boat trains, at which time she was
sold to the Italian State Railway having covered some 1,048,090 miles.
The second engine was Nº325 Abergavenny of 1876. entering service in 1877 she was a smaller engine than Grosvenor equipped with 6' 6" driving wheels and 16" x 22" cylinders. She also had three tenders, gaining the final Stroudley one in 1885
|Nº332 Shanklin at Eastbourne Roundhouse.
photograph: Dave Searle collection
|In 1880 Stroudley brought out the Class G proper, a locomotive that was very similar to Nº325, building some 24 of them for use on the lighter Portsmouth services and the Brighton Pullman Limited. They aquitted themselves well in these rôles, indeed some judged them to be better than some of the larger engines that succeeded them! Shortly after their introduction Grosvenor and Abergavenny were officially re-classified as Class G, despite their differences. Locomotive Nº329 Stephenson took part in the Stephenson Centenary procession of locomotives at Wylam in 1881. Two others, 335 and 336, were sold to the Italians along with Grosvenor in May 1907.|
|Nº349 Albany at Eastbourne ready for the Station Masters &
Inspectors Special excursion.
photograph: Dave Searle collection
|This old postcard picture from around 1900 shows Nº344
Hurstmonceux at an unspecified location.
photograph: Derek Creasey collection
|151||Grosvenor||Dec 1874||326||May 1907 *|
|325||Abergavenny||Dec 1876 *||-||Jun 1909|
|327||Imberhorne||Dec 1880||-||Apr 1910|
|328||Sutherland||Feb 1881||-||Apr 1908|
|329||Stephenson||May 1881||329A||May 1914|
|330||Newhaven||Jun 1881||-||Nov 1908|
|331||Fairlight||Jul 1881||-||Feb 1909|
|332||Shanklin||Jul 1881||-||Mar 1910|
|334||Petworth||Jul 1881||-||Nov 1908|
|333||Ventnor||Aug 1881||-||Nov 1908|
|335||Connaught||Oct 1881||-||May 1907 *|
|336||Edinburgh||Oct 1881||-||May 1907 *|
|337||Yarmouth||Oct 1881||-||Jun 1908|
|338||Bembridge||Nov 1881||-||Jul 1908|
|339||London||Dec 1881||-||Nov 1908|
|340||Medina||Dec 1881||-||Dec 1881|
|341||Parkhurst||Jan 1882||-||Jun 1907|
|342||St Lawrence||Jan 1882||-||Jan 1911|
|343||Wilmington||Jan 1882||-||Jun 1907|
|344||Hurstmonceux||Jan 1882||-||Nov 1908|
|345||Plumpton||Mar 1882||-||Jan 1911|
|346||Alfriston||Apr 1882||-||Nov 1908|
|347||Dallington||Apr 1882||-||Jun 1908|
|348||Lullington||Apr 1882||-||Jul 1908|
|349||Albany||May 1882||-||Mar 1910|
|350||Southbourne||May 1882||-||Jul 1908|
* Did not enter service until 1877
* Sold to Italian State Railway
All photographs are copyright
This page was last updated 14 July 2005