SEmG

LBSCR A1 / A1x class 0-6-0T

When Stroudley came to office for the LBSCR in the beginning of 1870, he found a situation where there was very little in the way of standardisation among the loco stock of the LBSCR. He perceived the need for a small range of standard locos and in the following 15 years produced such a range, some 8 or so standard loco classes. The class A, 'Terriers', were the smallest in the range, and were intended to be used for lightweight, block trains, particularly in the London area, where the trackwork was of light construction, with poor foundation. The first batch of Terriers was started in 1872, and the building programme lasted until 1880.

The 'Terrier' was so successful that more were built than were actually needed for the London area so their migration to the country parts of the LBSCR started. As time passed the trackwork in the London area became much improved, and the suburban traffic became much easier. Soon more powerful locos were needed for these trains and the dispersal of the 'Terriers' was made to most outlying sheds in the LBSCR, as most of them had locals services of the kind that suited the diminutive 'Terrier' well.

 
Cheam Maybe the oldest photo of a Terrier that we have on our web site: A1 class Nº579 Minories at an unknown location. The LBSCR ran a service through the Thames Tunnel on the East London line from New Cross to Liverpool Street until 1914 for which Stroudley designed his A1 class. One of the condensing pipes that ran from the smokebox to the side tanks is clearly visible here. Minories was renumbered 679 in March 1907 and rebuilt as class A1x in January 1912. Sold to the Admiralty in January 1918, Minories was first at Invergordon, then at Catterick in 1919 and had arrived at Chatham by 1920where she remained as Chatham Nº4 until being broken up in October 1933.

photograph: Geoff Smith collection

 
Another contender for the oldest photo of a Terrier that we have on our web site: A1 class Nº59 Cheam at Shoreditch in 1900. Cheam was renumbered 659 in June 1901 and rebuilt as class A1x in December 1921. The condensing pipes were removed when the locomotives were rebuilt.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Cheam
 
Wandle The previous number was allocated to Wandle, seen here as number 658 on an unknown date between June 1901 and March 1902. Unlike so many of this class Wandle had a relatively short life, being withdrawn in March 1902, just nine months after she was renumbered.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
515S was formerly Nº50 Whitechapel, renumbered 650 by the LB&SCR and B650 by the Southern Railway, she was sent to the Isle of Wight as W9 Fishbourne in 1930, repatriated to the mainland in 1930 she took the number 2650 but then sent to Lancing Carriage Works in 1937 as 515S. She was returned to capital stock in 1953 as 32650, her sixth number! Withdrawn in 1964 she was sold to Sutton Borough Council and was subsequently loaned to the K&ESR. Quite a career!

photograph: A J Wills Photographic Collection

515S
 
Boxhill 380S Boxhill once more, with a very new-looking 21C164 Fighter Command immediately behind!

photograph: A J Wills Photographic Collection

 
LBSCR Nº82 Boxhill, on foreign soil at Guildford shed in 1949 and pictured after being preserved. This loco was used as Brighton Works shunter 380S between 1920 and 1947 and is the closest to an original A1 that you can get, although the Southern Railway exchanged the chimney for a "slim-line" Drummond one. She was painted in full Stroudley livery in 1946 and reverted to being Nº82 when withdrawn and preserved. Boxhill, together with Nº81 Beulah was temporarily converted to 2-4-0T for Brighton-Worthing and Brighton-Kemp Town light pull and push train working.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

82
 
680S The equivalent loco at Lancing Carriage Works was Nº680S - seen here in Southern Railway days. She started life as LBSCR Nº54 Waddon, later Nº654, and was sold to the SECR in 1904 to become their Nº751 in full Wainwright livery. Following the formation of the Southern Railway she became A751 and was taken into service stock as 680S in 1932. Withdrawn in 1962 680S was restored to full LBSCR Stroudley livery at Eastliegh prior to being sent to the Delson Museum, near Montreal, Canada. Never rebuilt as an A1x, 680S was fitted the boiler from A1x 678, so is now neither a true A1, nor A1x!

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Nº32636 at Kemp Town station with the RCTS Brighton Works Centenary Special on 5th October 1952.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

32636
 
32662 Nº32662 in company with 0415 class Nº30583 photographed a long way from home at Axminster, with the RCTS 25th Anniversary Special on 28th June 1953.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
W8 & W13 at Eastleigh. Recently repatriated from the Isle of Wight, they've had their nameplates removed and are awaiting repainting prior to further use on the mainland. W8 is in plain black and W13 is in malachite, with the BRITISH RAILWAYS in Southern railway lettering. Following a light overhaul, they were renumbered 32646 and 32677 respectively but their liveries remained the same as when they were on the Island (apart from, of course, removal of the nameplates) and both worked on the Hayling Island branch. 32677 thus operated in malachite green on the mainland and was not painted lined black until September 1952.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

W8 and W13
 
See also the article on Two Unusual South Eastern Tank Engines in the Railway Magazine Archives.

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | 3rd | 4th
Preserved Terriers: 5th | Fenchurch | Stepney | Waddon | Data

This page was last updated 11 October 2011

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!