|Departmental (what is today called "Infrastructure") stock has long been a facet of railway life. This stock has customarily been well depreciated service stock withdrawn from normal use and instead of being scrapped applied - sometimes with some conversion - to "internal" duties maintaining the railway. Such use of older stock is often the only way we can continue to enjoy to see otherwise withdrawn designs. However certain items of service stock, particularly those of a specialist nature, have been built especially for their function.|
|This vehicle started life as LSWR Dining Saloon Nº80,
built June 1912 to LSWR Drawing 2077, renumbered 4142 by LSWR and renumbered
7842 by the SR. During the first world war it was used in Ambulance train
Nº38. It was converted to ARP (Air Raid Precautions) Clean Dressing Van
1831S in June 1943 for use, basically, as an ambulance car/first aid station.
Whilst fulfilling this role it was paired with ex-SECR van Nº896,
renumbered as 1832S for departmental use.
At some later date 1831S was converted for use as a dormitory and is seen here bearing the legend 'Exeter District Dormitory Set Nº5 (or 6?)'.
photograph by Stephen Hughes, courtesy of Terry Heeley
|In this later role these vehicles were used for train crew, overnight, accommodation at specific points within the Exeter District and known locations for them are Bude, Exmouth, Launceston, Lyme Regis, Seaton and Wadebridge. However it would seem that this vehicle was photographed at Seaton Junction and is standing in the branch siding adjacent to the Branch platform (where the branch strengthening vehicle was kept).|
|This photograph is of an SR diagram 124 Brake Third, in departmental
use. It is the same diagram as the LSWR 1520 Brake Third that is presently
being restored at the Bluebell. Whether it is the same vehicle or not cannot be
said as the photograph on the Bluebell site, when 1520 was in the "Mobile
Fire Train", shows that the vehicle has a side ducket. This photograph,
taken at Eastleigh, shows that the side ducket has been removed and plated over.
photograph by Ray Soper
Some details of the vehicles:
A number of these brakes were converted into departmental use after
withdrawal from service.
Text by Glen Woods
|710S photographed at Bournemouth Central during Southern Railway days. Originally it was a LSWR
30ft passenger brake van, SR diagram 853, and was built in December 1896 as Nº465, later 4661. Under the SR
it became Nº83. Withdrawn during December 1933, it became Mess & Tool van Nº710S.
It is lettered on the left:
photograph: Mike Morant collection
text from Chris Knowles-Thomas
|This photograph is of a petrol driven inspection vehicle, photographed in the late 1940s, and would appear to be chain-driven. Numbered 49S, it was the engineer's inspection vehicle allocated to Broad Clyst Engineers Yard, where the photograph was taken. Built in June 1940 at Exmouth Junction, the engine was a Dorman 40hp petrol one and the bogie used was ex-SECR. Withdrawn September 1959, it was sold for scrap to Ward's of Briton Ferry despite a suggestion that it might be preserved at the Bluebell Railway.||
photograph courtesy Jerry Ricketts and stated
to be in the Public Domain when posted on the alt.binaries.pictures.rail
|This unusual looking vehicle is a Matisa Track Recording
Trolley, photographed at Salisbury on 14th August 1966. Unfortunately the
number is impossible to read so it cannot be positively identified. It would be
used for "Track Marking", the modern, and vastly improved upon,
version of the traditional lengthman assessing the state of his length of track
as he walked it.
photograph by Dave Mant
|DS70188, originally S40398, photographed at
Salisbury on 3rd October 1970, was a Steam Heating or Boiler Van, built at
Eastleigh in 1963 on a 20ton mineral wagon underframe (built circa 1933-5):
21' 6" over the buffers, wheelbase 12", not vacuum braked and
with new bodywork resembling a BR horsebox. It had oleo-pneumatic buffers, an
automatic oil-fired boiler, a blue light to indicate "boiler
steaming", an orange warning light showing fault (with automatic boiler
shut-down) and fault alarm bell. It took 880 gallons of water and 280 gallons
photograph by Dave Mant
|75S is an electric locomotive built in 1898 to serve the
Waterloo and City line. It is now part of the national collection at the NRM
where is is pictured on 19th February 2000. A sister loco 74S was built to
service the SR's power station at Durnsford Road Wimbledon.
photograph by Colin Duff
All photographs are copyright
First | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Last
This page was last updated 18 May 2011