SEmG

Westerham Branch

Westerham itself was served by a single platform terminus with a run-round loop. The 70' long station building was of wooden construction, to minimize construction costs, under a slate roof, whilst a valenced canopy extended the full length of the building but no further along the platform. A small shed adjacent to the building was used for a bicycle store. On the opposite side of the station from the platform was a sizeable goods yard with two sidings, one of which ran through the 30' goods shed to terminate at an end-on dock platform. Locomotive facilities consisted of a single road wooden engine shed, a water tower and crane but with no turntable provided. Stevens & Sons provided the signalling and wooden Signalbox, which contained a thirteen lever frame. When a steam railmotor was introduced on the line in 1906 the engine shed became redundant but was not brought back into use when the steam railmotor was taken off the branch and was subsequently demolished a couple of decades later, though the foundations remained until the line's closure.
 
Westerham The outside of Westerham station.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

 
The platform, platform building with its short canopy and the run-round loop at Westerham.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

Westerham
 
Westerham Westerham Signalbox on the left and an entrance to the goods yard on the right.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

 
A close-up of the Signalbox at Westerham.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

Westerham
 
Westerham The water tower alongside the line and at the end of the goods yard.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

 
The outside of the 30' goods shed......

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

Westerham
 
Westerham .....and the inside, complete with crane.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | Last

This page was created 8 July 2010

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!