SEmG

Wallington

Wallington station was originally called Carshalton! The station opened with the opening of the Croydon and Epsom Railway in 1847, being about midway between those two towns. The name was changed to Wallington in 1868 when a new Carshalton station was opened with the building of the line from Sutton to Peckham Rye via Mitcham Junction.
 
Wallington Station about 1890 with Mr. Kedge, the station master, standing just to the right of centre at the platform edge. What a delightful building, with some very ornate leading to the windows. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Wallington
 
Wallington The Wallington Station staff pose for the camera in 1891. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
The goods shed, probably photographed around 1900. Note the hand operated crane on the far left. These were a feature of almost all goods yards. The high building behind it is the Signalbox. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Wallington
 
Wallington The first Motor Train arrives at Wallington Station on 11th June 1906. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

A goods train running into Wallington about 1918 but of far greater interest to us today is the catenary for the LBSC ac overhead electric units. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Wallington
 
Wallington Wallington goods yard, possibly in the 1930s. The brick building is the goods shed where the wagons could be unloaded under cover. The overhead ac electrics have now given way to the Southern Railway third rail dc variety. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
Another train passes the goods yard at Wallington. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Wallington
 
Wallington A far more up-to-date view, though the loco is now considered to be "heritage"! Bulleid 500hp diesel mechanical locomotive 11001 runs through Wallington on 1st July 1952. Note the nice array of bicycles on the platform, and there's that signal box again. photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 14 July 2005

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!