SEmG  
Hackbridge station about 1890. The advertisement on the wind-break is for Remington Typewriters. Note the very high signal (on the right - rather faint!), with repeater at cab height. The view is looking up towards Mitcham Junction.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Hackbridge
 
Hackbridge The same location but now probably around 1900-1914. This is a down view looking towards Carshalton. Nearby the station was Britain's largest quarantine kennels which, prior to WWII, generated a lot of rail traffic in imported dogs!

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
Hartfield Station
on the line from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells

photograph by Keith Harwood

Hartfield
 
Hartfield Photographed here in colour, a train has just departed from the station during 1959.

photograph by Ian Fossey

 
Honor Oak station was on the erstwhile Crystal Palace High Level branch and had the same chequered career as the rest of the branch. Opened in December 1865 it was, along with its branch siblings, closed for the latter parts of both world wars but subsequently reopened a year or so after each war ended. The branch was finally abandoned on 20th September 1954. This view was captutured circa 1949.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

Honor Oak

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 13 June 2007

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!