SEmG
The now closed station at East Brixton was opened by the LB&SCR on the 13th August 1866 as Loughborough Park station and provided services to Battersea Park, Victoria, Peckham and London Bridge. Later name changes saw it called Loughborough Park & Brixton in January 1870 and East Brixton from 1st January, 1894 and photographed here on 30th December 1975, shortly before closure on 5th January 1976. Note the buildings on the elevated westbound platform on their ornate iron supports and the coloured brick arches of the main station entrance. The villa on the right once had a matching building attached on its left which was demolished to make way for the station.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

East Brixton
 
East Brixton 2 EBP Nº5660 entering the eastbound platform. This 1975 photo shows the station sporting modern platform lighting at the end of its life, though less than ten years had passed since they replaced the old gas lamps. Note the wooden platforms that were retained until the end. These were frequently used for elevated platforms as due to being lighter than "traditional" ones.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
2 EBP Nº5663 entering the westbound platform. Closing when it did saved the station from being repainted in the garish Network SouthEast colours with those ghastly off-red lamposts! Note the station is still sporting Southern Railway target signs, though they are a lot fewer than they had been. Since the station's closure Brixton has been without access to this route.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

East Brixton
 
Epsom Downs Epsom Downs is one of two stations (the other is Tattenham Corner) for Epsom racecourse that are at their busiest during Derby week, and on Derby Day itself frequently saw the Royal Train stabled here. Originally boasting four long platforms and complicated signalling arrangements that were used just for race days, today it is reduced to just one platform. The NSE red lamposts are looking decidedly pink by now!

Epsom Downs station taken in September 2003. The line has been truncated and the station itself moved further north to make way for a housing development. A class 455 unit, 5845 is waiting in the sole platform to depart for Victoria. Services run hourly to Victoria Monday to Saturday with no service on Sundays.

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

 
The station building was rebuilt to blend in with the surrounding houses. The station building itself is now a nursery with the entrance to the platforms being round the side!

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

Epsom Downs

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 1 February 2009

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!