sr.png

Newport

Newport station opened with coming of the Ryde & Newport Railway in 1862 and was closed when all traffic was withdrawn by British Railways in February 1966.
 
Newport On a raw winter Sunday a week before closure, W29 Alverstone takes water at Newport en route from Ryde to Cowes on 13th February 1966.

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
Another view of W29 Alverstone taking water at Newport, with the line to Cowes straight ahead. Newport Signalbox, which can be clearly seen, was known as Newport North box until 1958 when the South box was closed.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Newport
 
Newport The sidings at Newport were extensive and remained so right up until closure of the Cowes line. The building to the right was the former Newport MPD. The date is 13th February 1966.

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
Newport station looking towards Ryde and taken from the carriage of a train departing for Cowes.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Newport

All photographs are copyright

IoW Pages | Ashey | Brading | Cowes | Haven |Street | Mill Hill | Newport | Ryde | Ryde MPD | Ryde Pier | Shanklin | Ventnor | Wroxall

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 6 February 2003

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!