sr.png (1653 bytes)

Hayling Island Branch

Following the closure of the line there was an attempt made to re-open it using an ex-Blackpool tramcar but, despite one being sourced and stored for a long time, the plans came to nought and most of the route of the old railway slowly returned to nature. The superstucture of the bridge was removed but the piles and the swing bridge support were left to form a eerie reminder of the days when little Terriers had worked so hard to transport the many hundreds of people wanting to travel the line.
 
A27 bridge This is the bridge that carried the old A27, now East Street, over the railway line, the course of which has now been turned into a footpath.

photograph by Paul Emery

 
Looking towards the island, to the right of the route can be seen the remains of an old railway wharf, which ceased to be used around 1890.

photograph by Paul Emery

Wharf
 
Remains All that remains of the 1,100ft timber viaduct across Langstone Harbour. The central circular base of the swing bridge shows where the track level once was.

photograph by Paul Emery

 
This is the former Goods Shed at Hayling Island as photographed on 22nd August 2009. As can be seen, it has been considerable extended.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Wharf
 
Remains Another view of the old Goods Shed today, which is now used as a theatre by the Hayling Island Amateur Dramatic Society.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | Last

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 11 November 2009

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!