|The much missed Hayling Island Branch was, despite not
being built by it, the archetypal LB&SCR branch line, fairly short, quaint
and operated by ancient rolling stock that gave it such a special charm. The
famous Stroudley Terriers that made
the branch their own worked it from the 1890s to the last day in November 1963
then, like the branch, faded from the national railway system.
Map by Peter Richards
The LB&SCR had arrived in Havant, en route for Portsmouth, on 15th March 1847 but had no apparent interest in a branch southwards. On 3rd July 1851 an Act of Parliament granted powers to the Duke of Norfolk to build a horse worked railway from a junction with the LB&SCR at Havant to Langstone at the point with the Hayling bridge. The railway was never built and the powers granted by the Act lapsed. Then, in 1860, authorization for a contractors' line, the Hayling Railway, was obtained for a single line railway from Havant through Langstone and across Langstone harbour to Hayling Island by means of an 1,100ft timber viaduct with opening girder span and controlling cabin, then continuing on a new embankment constructed alongside the west shore of the island, thereby reclaiming over 1000 acres of mudflats. It was the viaduct, together with some sharp curves, that was to ensure the Terriers a continuing life in the later years as it had such a severe weight restriction no other locomotives were permitted to use it. The line opened to Langstone (Note: from May 1873 it was just Langston - no 'e' on the end!) for goods only on 19th January 1865 and to Hayling Island (until 1892 called South Hayling), with a halt at North Hayling, for goods and passengers on 16th July 1897. The line was intitially worked by the contractor, Furniss, but the LB&SCR took over responsibility for operating it from 1st January 1872, finally absorbing it in November 1922, prior to becoming part of the Southern Railway in 1923.
|On 12th December 1962 a meeting of the
Transport Users Consultative Committee was convened at Havant Town Hall which,
ignoring the protests of local people and organisations, and despite the
railway's income equalling its outgoings, the opposing arguments for the
cost of repairs to Langstone Harbour bridge and the aging coaching stock were
upheld and the decision was made to recommend to the Minister of Transport that
the railway be closed. The "ageing coaching stock" (some of it 1956
built MkIs) was all subsequently put to use elsewhere on the Southern Region!
Closure followed swiftly with the last public train running on 2 November 1963.
The final train, the "Hayling Railway Farewell Tour", ran the
following day behind the oldest working locomotive then operating on British
Railways - Nº32636.
The line was single throughout, with no crossing places, so with up to four trains per hour using the line the crossing keeper at Langston station had a full day, and plenty of motorists in later years sat fuming whilst waiting for the train to enter or leave the station!
|The Hayling Island train in its bay platform, taken from the
"Up" platform at Havant during 1963.
photograph by Keith Harwood
|Terrier 32646 is in the bay platform at Havant, about to
leave for its short journey to Hayling Island.
photograph by Keith Harwood
|Terrier Nº32646 (which was sold to the LSWR in 1903) was just one of several Terriers associated with the Hayling line, others were 32636 (the original Terrier), 32640, 32644, 32650, 32655 (now "Stepney" on the Bluebell Railway), 32659, 32661, 32662, 32670 (which belonged to the Kent & East Sussex Railway until Nationalisation), 32677 and 32678. It is comforting to know that many in the above list have survived into preservation.|
|Terrier 32670 is about to cross Langston level crossing with the
Hayling Island train on 15th June 1963.
photograph courtesy Jerry Ricketts and stated to be in the
Public Domain when posted on the alt.binaries.pictures.rail newsgroup.
|The train left from its own bay platform at Havant station, then turned south almost immediately over a minor level crossing by Havant Signalbox then under the old A27, continuing past watercress beds and a double Fixed Distant Signal with one arm for each direction of travel, one of three double arm Signals along the route. The line was surrounded by trees from this point whilst the locomotive, working hard, would bark its exhaust in a quite un-Terrier like manner. Shortly the trees thin out and some sidings were passed, the whole time the line curving first one way, then the other. As the sea was approached the viaduct came into view and the train would slow to 20 m.p.h. before venturing onto the timbers. At each end was a Home Signal, left permanently "off" and only used in the event of the span being opened, something that was very rare after WWII. Rumbling over the bridge at high tide gave the impression that the train had gone to sea! Once off the viaduct the train quickly arrived at the unstaffed North Hayling halt on the west shore of the island, alongside now abandoned oyster beds. Leaving the halt the train continued close to the coast for a couple of miles through open country to the Hayling Island terminus. When just one train was working the branch, it would arrive in the main platform, then the engine would run round ready for the return trip. However, when another train was expected, the first had to run round and shunt its stock into the bay to allow the second train into the station.|
|The Hayling Branch crossed the main road to the island at
Langstone, where Langston station and its level crossing were located. There
was a siding here, though it was out of this picture on the right.The only
other stopping place on the branch was at North Hayling where a very basic
platform and shelter were provided.
photograph by Keith Harwood
|This sign faced the road, with the platfom behind it.
Something for the motorist to read whilst sitting in front of the closed level
cine capture by Keith Harwood
|An unidentified Terrier and its train crossing Langstone harbour by means of the 1,100ft timber
viaduct with its opening girder span and controlling cabin.
photograph: Mike Morant collection
All photographs are copyright
First | 2nd | Last
This page was last updated 3 April 2011