SEmG

Halwill

Halwill Station Building The Halwill station building as it was in the mid 1980s, viewed from the front of the building.

photograph by Ron Strutt.

 
The platform side of the building

photograph by Ron Strutt.

Halwill Station Building
 
Halwill Slaughterhouse This was the brick slaughterhouse built by the Southern Railway in 1938 to replace the previous wooden one.

photograph by Ron Strutt in the mid 1980s.

 
Goods sheds are frequently survivors after the closure of a railway station, and Halwill's was still in good condition when photographed in the mid 1980s, albeit with one door missing.

photograph by Ron Strutt.

Halwill Goods Shed
 
Since the closure in 1966 the name of the place that grew up around the station, 'Halwill Junction', has survived. Before the railway came there was nothing, but it brought sufficient prosperity to justify at one time a Post Office, a police station, a bank, a public house, a Baptist chapel, a small cottage hospital, a garage, a cattle market, an egg packing station and a few shops whilst the railway itself contributed employees' cottages, offices and a slaughter house.
 
Halwill road name All over the country you see the late and much-maligned Dr Beeching's name commemorated in road names where once the train was king, and Halwill is no exception. The road that winds through the estate built on the station area is yet another "Beeching Close".

photograph by Peter Richards.

 
The site of Halwill station today has been built over and the view on the left is taken with the photographer facing south, looking towards the station area and with the route of the North Cornwall Line behind him.

photograph by Peter Richards.

Halwill station area
 
Halwill trackbed looking north The opposite view from the above showing work in progress to turn some of the disused trackbed into a cycle path in 2004.

photograph by Peter Richards.

 
There were a few mishaps during the life of the station, one notable one being in 1905 when a goods train approaching Halwill from Ashbury became divided on the down grade, resulting in the rear portion falling behind, then catching up and crashing into the front portion near the level crossing and causing the death of some pigs, injuries to a couple of railwaymen and damage to some 25 wagons. Another notable accident happened in 1944 when points were unfortunately left set the wrong way in front of a train that was accellerating hard out of the station to tackle the climb to Ashbury. It went up a short spur and, despite a valiant braking attempt by the driver, the engine and tender crashed through the buffers and down onto the Beaworthy road. It took three attempts, the third with no less than five other engines (including two N15s and an S160 which were specially authorised to cross Meldon Viaduct for the rescue), before the derailed engine was recovered from the road!

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | Passenger Train Formations

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 18 May 2007

SR Target

Valid HTML 4.01!